Here are 12 statements that will help you identify the candidates who are swamp creatures or wanting to become part of the Blount County establishment. Without further ado, here’s your sign.
- The schools need more money. The $hool$ need more money. The $chool$ need more money.
- It’s for the children. It’s for the children. It’s for the children.
- The county makes money on federal inmates.
- The Blount Partnership is doing a great job recruiting businesses.
- The county is being run efficiently because we have clean audits.
- We have to do this. Federal law or state law says we have to.
- The sheriff should decide what inmates he keeps in the local jail.
- Our county employees work hard. They deserve to make more than the average taxpaying citizen.
- Our teachers do such a great job that they deserve two pay raises: a step increase and a percentage increase.
- Blount County has a secret sauce.
- Blount County needs a wheel tax because it’s not fair for the property owners to have to pay all the taxes.
- The commissioners work so hard that they deserve an 85% pay raise.
If a candidate is saying any of these things then you’ll know you’re talking to someone who is a part of the courthouse clique or wants to be part of the courthouse clique. You have been warned.