Dear H.R. Director Morgan,
There are names of people on these health care benefits lists who may not have been eligible to receive County health care benefits. The 2008 list includes 16 people (cells 252-267) listed as being employed by the Blount County Chamber. The 2007 list includes 14 people (cells 1798-1811) listed who are most of the same people in the 2008 file.
Based on the research that Rhonda Pitts and I have done, we have been unable to verify that the Commission approved giving health care benefits to the Chamber employees. Director of Budgets and Finance, Randy Vineyard, stated that he didn’t know if the Commission had ever approved paying for Chamber employees’ health care benefits. There has been no response to my email sent to Bryan Daniels, the President/CEO of Blount Partnership, on this matter. Additionally I have spoken with three former commissioners, one who served on the HR Committee. Neither recalled the Commission ever approving health care benefits for Chamber employees.
Given the serious problem with the current benefits plan being unsustainable, it is incumbent upon Blount County government to ensure that no one who was/is ineligible received or continues to receive health care benefits that they are not entitled to receive. Thus, I am asking that you fully research this matter to determine if there were ineligible people receiving health care benefits and whether they continue to receive health care benefits, what the costs to the taxpayers was/is and report your findings to me.
Along with your findings, please answer the following questions.
- Did the County Commission ever authorize giving health care benefits to employees of the Blount County Chamber of Commerce? If so, when?
- If the Commission did not authorize Chamber employees to receive health care benefits, who did and when?
- If Chamber employees did receive health care benefits, are they still receiving benefits?
- If not, when did Chamber employees stop receiving health care benefits?
- If Chamber employees did receive health care benefits, how many participated in the County health care plans?
- If Chamber employees did receive health care benefits, how many years did Chamber employees participate in the County health care plans and what were those years?
- If Chamber employees did receive health care benefits, who received these benefits?
- If Chamber employees did receive health care benefits, what was the total cost each year?
- If the Chamber employees never received health care benefits, why are their names included in these lists of people enrolled in County health care benefits plans?
Blount County Commissioner
District 7 Seat B
From: “Jenny Morgan” <[email protected]>
Sent: Wednesday, April 22, 2015 4:42pm
To: [email protected] Cc: [email protected], “Ed Mitchell” <[email protected]>, “Randy Vineyard” <[email protected]> Subject: Requested Information
Attached are 2 files containing the requested information regarding the list of people on our benefits in 2007 & 2008. I apologize for the delay in getting this information to you. Once we located the information, we needed to convert the data to an excel file so some information could be redacted. This took quite a bit of time for our IT Director to complete as he had to use several different programs to complete the task.
Please let me know if you have any questions or if I can be of further assistance to you.
Human Resources Director
Blount County Government