Human Resources Director Morgan’s responses are in red.
Dear H.R. Director Morgan,
There are names of people on these health care benefits lists who may not have been eligible to receive County health care benefits. The 2008 list includes 16 people (cells 252-267) listed as being employed by the Blount County Chamber. The 2007 list includes 14 people (cells 1798-1811) listed who are most of the same people in the 2008 file.
Based on the research that Rhonda Pitts and I have done, we have been unable to verify that the Commission approved giving health care benefits to the Chamber employees. Director of Budgets and Finance, Randy Vineyard, stated that he didn’t know if the Commission had ever approved paying for Chamber employees’ health care benefits. There has been no response to my email sent to Bryan Daniels, the President/CEO of Blount Partnership, on this matter. Additionally I have spoken with three former commissioners, one who served on the HR Committee. Neither recalled the Commission ever approving health care benefits for Chamber employees.
Given the serious problem with the current benefits plan being unsustainable, it is incumbent upon Blount County government to ensure that no one who was/is ineligible received or continues to receive health care benefits that they are not entitled to receive. Thus, I am asking that you fully research this matter to determine if there were ineligible people receiving health care benefits and whether they continue to receive health care benefits, what the costs to the taxpayers was/is and report your findings to me.
Along with your findings, please answer the following questions.
1. Did the County Commission ever authorize giving health care benefits to employees of the Blount County Chamber of Commerce? If so, when? Any questions regarding commission actions can be addressed by the commission office as they are the official custodian of commission actions and minutes.
2. If the Commission did not authorize Chamber employees to receive health care benefits, who did and when? I was not here at the time and do not have an answer to this question.
3. If Chamber employees did receive health care benefits, are they still receiving benefits? No
4. If not, when did Chamber employees stop receiving health care benefits? 12/31/2009
5. If Chamber employees did receive health care benefits, how many participated in the County health care plans? 14 Chamber employees in 2007; 16 Chamber employees in 2008; 17 Chamber employees in 2009
6. If Chamber employees did receive health care benefits, how many years did Chamber employees participate in the County health care plans and what were those years? 3 years – 2007, 2008, 2009
7. If Chamber employees did receive health care benefits, who received these benefits? Deborah Buckner, Bryan Daniels, Kathleen Delozier, Brenda Farner, Tammi Ford, Fred Forster, Herb Handly, Frank Hanson, Jean Hilten, Mary Hunt, Julia Kyle, Linda Lambert, Amy Lawson, Bonny Millard, Deborah Nye, Anna Watson, Mary Webb, Loretta White
8. If Chamber employees did receive health care benefits, what was the total cost each year? We do not have these records in our office. The carrier we had at the time is no longer in existence. This is a very labor intensive request and will take additional time to research to see if this information is available.
9. If the Chamber employees never received health care benefits, why are their names included in these lists of people enrolled in County health care benefits plans? Chamber employees received health care benefits in 2007, 2008 & 2009.
Blount County Commissioner
District 7 Seat B